How do pest control products affect household pets?

If you need to call a pest control company, you might be wondering how pest control products affect pets.  Pest control is, after all, placing a toxic substance where it will eliminate pests, whether they are silverfish or moles.

It is highly important that you have a plan regarding your pets when the pest control professional comes. A safety plan for your domestic pets is a key part of the entire process.

Keep your pet away from the area being treated

First, you will need to keep your pet away from the area being treated. If the place being treated is confined to one part of the house, you will need to keep them away for the duration of the procedure. In addition, they must be kept away from the products for a time frame depending on the product used and the pest that needed to be controlled.

If insecticide was sprayed for silverfish in the basement, for example, pets need to be kept away until the insecticide is dry and the area has been fully ventilated. If it’s a pesticide that is going to be diffused through the entire home, your pets will have to be removed from the house until it is safe to re-enter.

However, if the pest control is for small mammals such as rats or moles, you will need to exercise care to keep your pet away from the pest control agent. These can be toxic to small animals, such as dogs, just as they are to the small animal pests. It is possible to have rodenticide put in resistant traps. You need to ask your pest control company about the best method for pest control that is safe for pets.

For a pest control agent that is designed for small animals or must be placed on lawns, you must be prepared to exercise vigilance to see that you pet does not engage with the poison. First, you do not want them to eat the poison. Second, if an animal such as a bird or mouse eats a toxic substance, the animal may be toxic to another animal, such as a pet cat, that kills and eats it.

It may be necessary to supervise your dog or cat in the area immediately outside your home with more vigilance than usual for the period of time that the pest control needs to remain around your home.

Also, note that toxic substances that are diffused through the air can be absorbed through the skin of all animals and can land on objects they use. It is therefore imperative to remove not only the pets, but any related object of theirs that might be subject to pesticide residue. Their toys (especially chewable ones!), their pillows, their blankets, and their bowls for food and water have to be kept out from before the pest control company comes until your pest control company indicates it is safe.

Keep the pesticide away from your pet

In addition to keeping your pet away from the treated area, it is necessary to make sure that the pesticide doesn’t impact the pet’s area. Some pesticides are toxic not just if eaten, but if inhaled or absorbed into the skin. For that reason, as indicated above, if pesticide particulates will be released throughout the home, a pet must be removed for the duration of its activity.

Remember that this applies not only to small four-footed domestic pets such as cats or dogs, but fish, whether in bowls or tanks, birds, and other types of pets. They can inhale a diffused pesticide. So make sure that you leave enough time for ventilation to do the work of making the air safe again.

With care and planning, pest control is very safe for your pets. But it does require care and planning.

Please contact us for more information.