Simple Mouse Prevention Tips
It’s officially mouse season in the Midwest! Well, to be fair, mice are a year-round pest problem, but we receive more calls about these small rodents when the cooler weather arrives in the fall. From mice making holes in the corners of rooms, to hearing mice in the walls, to seeing them scurry about inside the house, it’s clear mice are on a mission to secure shelter and stay warm, and homeowners are not happy about it. And rightfully so! No one wants to worry about the damage these pests cause or the illnesses they spread, especially with the holidays around the corner. In today’s blog post, we’re sharing a few simple mouse prevention tips to keep mice out. We’ll also discuss what to do if mice (or rats) are already active in your home.
Simple tips to keep mice out of your home
To prevent mice from infesting your home this fall or any other time of year, our local pest control company recommends the following tips:
- Seal entry points including cracks, gaps, and openings on the outside of the house
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors
- Use weatherstripping to seal openings around doors and windows
- Replace loose mortar around the foundation
- Cover vents and the chimney
- Keep the garage door closed
- Stack firewood at least 20 feet away from the house
- Trim back tree limbs, bushes, and shrubs so that they don’t touch the sides of the house or roof
- Repair leaks and plumbing issues and address other moisture problems
- Clean up your yard
- Keep exterior trash cans covered
Ongoing home pest control for insects & rodents!
In addition to our standalone rodent control, Miller Pest & Termite also offers home pest control services that cover mice and rats as well as a variety of house-infesting insects! Check out our residential plans and pricing below or give us a call to discuss your pest problem.
Get Help Now!