Summer Pests In The Midwest & How To Stop Them From Infesting
Summer in the Midwest – except for the intense heat, high humidity, and plethora of bugs, what’s not to love about it? While there’s nothing we can do about the weather, the summer pests are another matter. In this blog post, we’ll identify common summer pest problems homeowners in Kansas City, Des Moines, and Omaha as well as throughout the Midwest face, why pest activity increases during this season, and how our local pest control pros protect people and property from pests.
Common summer pests in the Midwest
Although mosquitoes are a MAJOR problem during the summer months, they’re not the only insects making their presence known right now. Here are a few of the more common summer pests Midwest property owners are likely to find in or around their structures this month and throughout the season:
How does the summer weather influence pest activity?
Most insects thrive in hot, humid weather and results in a noticeable increase in the number of pests crawling or flying around. Warmer weather earlier in the season may also cause pests to breed earlier than normal, which also affects pest populations the rest of the season.
Of course, if we don’t get enough rain, pests will start looking for water sources to survive and that’s usually inside homes and businesses.
In some cases, hot weather might drive pests out of areas where they normally lurk (like spiders in the attic or mice outdoors) in search of cooler harborages.
Miller’s summer pest prevention tips
To keep summer pests out of your home and away from your family, our pest control specialists recommend:
- Sealing every crack, gap, and opening that insects could use to crawl inside- this includes the openings around utility lines
- Installing weather stripping around doors and windows
- Repairing or replacing window screens
- Keeping the garage door and entry doors closed when not in use
- Covering vents with mesh screens
- Eliminating standing water on your property
- Addressing moisture problems indoors
- Replacing any water damaged wood
- Fixing any plumbing issues, such as a leaky faucet or pipe under the kitchen sink
- Keeping your kitchen and food storage areas clean and free of crumbs and spills
- Washing your dishes every night
- Emptying trash can regularly
- Decluttering the attic, closets, or other storage spaces
- Keeping firewood away from the exterior of your house and up off the ground
- Staining or sealing decks, porches, and fences as well as other wood structures that could become infested by bugs
- Mowing your lawn regularly
- Trimming back tree limbs, bushes, and shrubs so that they do not touch the side of the house or roof
- Remove lawn debris and clear out dense vegetation
What to do if you’re already seeing pests this summer
If it’s too late and you’ve found large black ants, tiny brown ants, spiders or other insects indoors, have observed swarming termites, or are being driven out by mosquitoes every time you try to enjoy your backyard, contact Miller Pest & Termite for help!
Serving Iowa, Missouri, Kansas & Nebraska since 2001, our locally owned and family-operated pest control company is ready to help Midwest property owners protect their homes and families from nuisance and potentially damaging or harmful insects and rodents this summer and all year-long! Whether you’re simply looking for protection from pests that are frequent in homes in our region, or want even greater protection that targets mosquitoes and termites as well as other house-infesting pests, we’ve got you covered!
Compare our home pest control plans and pricing below or give us a call with any questions!
Get Help Now!