Ant Bites: Everything There Is To Know, And Beyond
Ants are one of those insects who are habitual to living within a colony. They are generally peace-loving creatures who do not prefer to harm or disturb you unless they feel threatened by you. This is generally the case with every animal or insect out there in nature.
- Why do ants bite
- What is an ant bite or sting?
- Are fire ant and red ant stings dangerous?
- What are the symptoms of ant bites?
- Can you have an allergic reaction to an ant bite?
- What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to an ant bite?
- Why do ants bite me more than others?
- Can you treat an allergic reaction from an ant?
- Can ant bites become infected?
- What are medical treatments for ant bites?
- How can you prevent getting ant bites?
- How to get rid of ant bites overnight
When ants feel threatened, they usually let out a bite or sting which feels different than those of the other insects, in particular. Having said that, these bites can be quite dangerous and even toxic in the case of ants of certain species. For example, red ant stings may not be too big an issue to deal with, but fire ant stings will definitely have you writhing in pain and agony.
Ants don’t literally 'bite’ you. They just let out a small drop of acidic venom off their mouths on your skin which causes you to feel that blistering pain like a burn. This burning sensation lasts for a while or even longer depending on the type of ant you have been stung by.
Red and fire ants bit you with a similar process, though produce different results. They do so by pinching your skin in between their mandibles and then releasing a small spurt of their acidic venom below your skin. This causes an immediate burning and blistering sensation, like a sting or a bite.
What do red ant stings feel like?
As mentioned before, ants bite you only when you disturb them, or they feel threatened by your presence. Red ant stings do burn but only for a short while. They may leave a small swelling on the site of the bite, but nothing more than that.
This sting is characterized by a burning sensation coupled with redness and swelling of the area. Although there is nothing to worry about even if you are bitten by a red ant, you must still look out for allergic reactions. Any allergic reaction that happens on your skin during this process will still prevail. In that case, you may have to go see a doctor.
What do fire ant stings feel like?
Fire ant bites are deadlier. They attack in swarms and successfully manage to cover the person who caused them to lose track of focus. Their stings even cause blisters in some people due to their sensitive skin. They also leave swollen red spots in the wake of their stings.
These stings can be really painful, especially as soon as the individual is bitten. In worse cases, they may even cause you to develop blisters. This will happen if your skin is highly allergic to fire ant stings. In that case, you definitely need to turn to medical help instead of home remedies.
Though these may seem deadly and sound dangerous, they can be easily dealt with by using home remedies to keep control until medical help arrives. There is no tedious process in order to treat a red ant or a fire ant sting.
Many times, we fail to notice that we have been bitten by an ant. In such a case, we tend to feel a burning sensation at the site of the infection without realizing that we have actually fallen prey to an ant sting. Major symptoms are:
One way to get rid of ant bites overnight is to use a cold compress. Applying a cold compress to the affected area can reduce inflammation, soothe itching and help reduce swelling. The cold temperature from the compress also helps numb the pain associated with the bite. To make a cold compress, simply wrap some ice cubes in a thin cloth or paper towel and hold it against the area for 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this process several times throughout the day until you experience relief from the symptoms. It’s also important to keep the affected area clean to prevent infection. Be sure to wash with soap and water, then apply an antibiotic ointment or cream. If you have a severe allergic reaction to an ant bite, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately.
Does toothpaste relieve ant bites?
Recent research has suggested that toothpaste can be used to relieve ant bites. Applying a small amount of toothpaste on the affected area is said to reduce inflammation and provide relief from the itching sensation. However, this method has not been thoroughly tested or proven in clinical trials, so it is not recommended as a first-line treatment for ant bites. If you choose to use toothpaste, always ensure that it is of suitable quality and age-old or expired toothpaste can contain bacteria. Additionally, if the bite persists after using the toothpaste, seek medical advice immediately.
Allergic reactions occur in 0.4-0.8% of children and in 3% of adults. Although allergic reactions can occur in any individual at any age, adults are more vulnerable to allergic reactions.
More often than not, these reactions are coupled with swelling and redness on the site of the infection and also in areas away from the infection. This is the distinguishing factor of allergies, that it affects unaffected areas too.
Having said that, only as little as 1% of the bites go on to develop and culminate into severe systemic disorders. Hence, there is practically almost no danger of an individual becoming seriously allergic.
Below are some of the many allergic side effects one may have to go through:
This is the most basic of allergic reactions. The person feels redness and swelling taking place on the site of the sting. It causes a little bit of discomfort for quite some time but poses no medical danger whatsoever.
Large local reaction
This condition is a little more severe than the local reaction. When the individual faces blistering and itching along with the redness and swelling, they are said to have a large local reaction to the sting. The effects of the large local reaction may last anywhere ranging from 7-10 days to completely heal.
Mild systemic reaction
This situation occurs when the stings slightly disrupt the proper functioning of your Gastrointestinal tract. The individual may fall prey to diarrhea, stomach cramps, or vomiting. In some cases, severe nausea and itching of the skin are also reported.
Severe systemic reaction
Such a condition arises only in extreme cases, say when you have been bitten by a rare ant species or maybe a fire ant too if you are overly sensitive to allergic reactions. Severe systemic reactions are characterized by a haywire functioning of any two vital organs. Dizziness, hypotension, hoarseness of voice, and chest pain are all symptoms of a severe systemic reaction.
Certain people are more vulnerable to ant bites than others. Individuals who have little to no knowledge of where ants reside, or what they eat may find themselves running into these pests more often than others.
Such people are quite easy prey for ants. They may venture into their vicinity and fall prey to a swarm of red or fire ants. Many ant species often dwell near mounds and hills, especially in forests. You may come upon such ant hills while trekking or camping.
Children and the elderly are the easiest targets for ants if their anthill is disturbed. They are pretty inclined to target a small child or an old person in case of the disruption of their home rather than looking for and attacking the actual real culprit.
Having said that, one must make sure that they don’t venture into the territory of ants, especially while camping or hiking.
There is nothing you can do to 'treat’ the allergic reaction of an individual’s body to ant stings. It can only be done with the help of medical aid. All you can do is wait until help arrives, or until you take that particular individual to the doctor’s, in order to completely heal their allergy.
Allergic reactions due to stings must never be underestimated. Nothing can be said about the reaction of one’s body to allergy to ant bites. Try and diffuse the situation as much as you can until the doctor’s help and aid are available.
Yes, ant bites can become infected. Infections from ant bites have quite a good chance of culminating into red bumps or red spots all throughout the body. These may then go onto white pustules which are the home of infections pus and other bodily fluids. The only way to combat these infections is to administer help and treatment and the right time, and immediately, if possible.
One popular medical treatment that doctors resort to is using an EpiPen, short for epinephrine auto-injector. This is used to reverse the effects of ant bites on an individual’s skin, and cause it to get back to normal leaving its swelling and redness behind.
Doctors also use hydrocortisone cream or hydrocortisone injections if your body is still showing signs and symptoms of allergic reactions to the ant sting even after all the methods to combat it. Antibiotics work wonders for ant stings that are infected.
Now that you know enough about ant bites, you want to make sure they don’t come back to your home again. If you see ants have made their way into your home then you need to contact your local pest control company to get rid of the infestation for you. If you are located in the Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City, Overland Park, or Olathe areas then Miller Pest & Termite can help you out!