How to Eliminate Asian Beetles In Your Garden
The most identifiable form of Asian beetle is what is often called the “ladybug,” in the West, and of course, these are benign. But there are some Asian beetles that can cause serious damage to gardens and homes. The key is to be able to identify them so you can then prevent and rid yourself of them in the long run.
Asian Beetles And How They Are Destructive
Not all Asian beetles are types that can tear up gardens including the Byrony Ladybird, for example. These insects are orange with the exception that they have eleven spots on them. Others include the Mexican Beat Beetle, the Squash Beetle, and certain types of the Potato Ladybird.
These insects will chew on leaves in gardens, but they will also eat different vegetables and fruits as well. In particular, the Potato Ladybird variant with the 28 spots, will eat potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkins, zucchinis and many other vegetables. It’s important to recognize and get rid of these pests if you are growing vegetables in your garden.
Beyond it being a problem for your garden and lawn, they can also be a problem for your home. This is because these insects will seek to winter somewhere warm. This will often be your house if you’re not careful. Hundreds of the insects can end up all over your house for this reason if they are inhabiting your garden during the warmer months.
Methods for Eliminating the Beatles
It’s not just one approach that is likely to be effective when it comes to getting rid of these beetles. You’re going to have to try a few different ones because each method is going to have different strengths and weaknesses.
Some of these methods include:
- Using a Vacuum– Most Asian beetles aren’t actually trying to grow in your house. They don’t even want to eat anything there most of the time. Everything they want tends to be outside. Instead, what they want is just to live in your house until it gets warm again. But, if you don’t want hundreds of them doing that, then vacuuming constantly is going to be a good bet to prevent this from happening. You need to dispose of them quickly though, or they will just find their way back out of the vacuum bags.
- Special Dwellings-If you want to avoid killing the ladybug Asian beetles, then you can actually just set up little special places for the beetles to spend the winter. That way, the benign ones will still roam through your garden, but they will have someplace to go in the winter that’s not your house. You can usually buy these from a professional, and they will give a safe place for the beetles away from the elements without moving into your home.
- Lethal Traps-It’s also possible to get traps that use special pheromones to bring beetles in, and this is where they will fall into water where they drown. If you have beetles that are more destructive and want to just get rid of them permanently, this can be an effective solution.
- Mums-Another old trick for getting rid of these beetles is to plant something called a mum. These are special flowers that ladybugs and Asian beetles stay away from. For whatever reason, they are repelled by these flowers, so if you plant them in and right around your home, the beetles will naturally stay away from them.
More Organic Solutions
If you’re looking for solutions that don’t involve using harsh chemicals, there are a number of strong options. A few of these include:
- Citronella-Lady beetles are not fond of anything with citrus or citronella scent in it. So, if you fill the air with this scent, the bugs will stay away. You can make a spray in order to put the scent around areas of your house where the bugs have become a problem.
- Bay Leaves-Asian beetles will often avoid the scent coming from bay leaves. The recommendation is to put these leaves in concentrated pouches where the scent coming from them will be the strongest. Then you can leave them in areas you want to keep free of the beetles.
- Peppermint– This essential oil can often be effective at repelling insects. They will generally move away from it as it can even serve as a contact poison that functions as a nerve agent.
- Cloves-If you use whole cloves, you can create a scent in the air that will repel Asian beetles. They don’t like this scent either and they will tend to avoid it. This means that you can disperse them if you put the cloves in areas that are highly frequented by the beetles, and you can even use it to discourage them from entering your house in the first place if you put it near window sills.
Other options include avoiding bright colors that attract the beetles and instead use dark colors in your home or simply seal the entrances to your home. If you seal up possible holes and leaks around your windows and doors, then the beetles won’t be able to get into your home in the first place.
For more information about identifying and eliminating pests like Asian beetles and many other kinds besides, let Miller Pest & Termite be your experts!
Customers Often Ask:
What To Expect When We Help You With Inspections
Our pest control and termite inspection services are here to help you whether you have a big or large building for us to inspect. If there are any problems we'll let you know and you can take care of them ASAP. We don't require you to move around anything since we mostly check the exterior of a home for issues.