What do American cockroaches look like?
- Size: Up to 2 in.
- Color: Reddish brown
- Body Structure: Oblong-oval body with antennae and a yellow band behind the head.
Characteristics of American cockroaches
Females lay an egg case, containing anywhere from a dozen to 16 eggs, and then carry the egg case on their abdomens before depositing it near a food source. Eggs hatch around 60 days after, although it takes one year for the nymphs to reach adulthood. Females may lay anywhere from 15 to 90 egg cases in a lifetime.
When are American roaches commonly active?
While American cockroaches remain active year-round, they are more prevalent in the spring and summer.
Where are American cockroaches found?
Outdoors, American cockroaches prefer shady, humid areas such as underneath mulch piles, in woodpiles, and decaying trees as well as sewer systems and drains.
Indoors, these roaches are often found in damp, dank areas such as basements, crawl spaces, and boiler rooms as well as near water pipes. They are also commonly found in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
What do American cockroaches eat?
American cockroaches are omnivores that will eat just about anything they can find including, but not limited to insects, leather, book bindings, cosmetics, glue and wallpaper paste, soap, and human food.
Are American cockroaches dangerous?
American cockroaches should be considered harmful to health as they are filthy pests capable of spreading at least 33 kinds of bacteria and six kinds of parasitic worms, not to mention several other kinds of human pathogens.
Why do I have an American cockroach infestation?
Although American cockroaches are an outdoor species, they may invade a home if the climate changes or outdoor food sources run low.
How do I get rid of American cockroaches?
Although there are a number of do-it-yourself treatments out there, such as roach foggers, they can be ineffective if administered improperly. What’s more, they can be highly toxic to pets and humans. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you contact a trained pest control professional if you have spotted cockroaches in your home.
At Miller Pest & Termite, we’ve been exterminating American cockroaches since 2001 and are ready to help you get rid of these pests!
Ongoing Home Pest Control Recommendation
Our signature Miller Guard pest control plan is designed to eliminate and prevent insect and rodent problems by targeting pest entry and exit points for maximum effectiveness. It includes an initial premium interior application, exterior applications, web removal, and wasp nest removal.
- Service Every Other Month*
- 29 Pests & Services Covered
- Initial Premium Interior Application
- Exterior Applications
- Insect & Rodent Control
- Year-Round Protection
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Free Quote Or Call (515) 518-8864
Additional Miller Guard Details
Pests Covered: Asian Beetles, Boxelder Bugs, Carpenter Ants, Carpet Beetles, Centipedes, Earwigs, Fleas, Fruit Flies, Grain Beetles, Hornets, House Ants, Indian Meal Moths, Mice, Millipedes, Pill Bugs, Rats, Roaches**, Silverfish, Spiders***, Stink Bugs, Wasps, Weevils, Yellow Jackets
- Pricing does not include initial fee
- 1-year service commitment
- Must have credit card on file
*Not including Jan/Feb
**American, German & Oriental
*** Venomous & Non-venomous
How can I prevent an American cockroach problem?
To prevent American cockroaches from entering your structure and threatening your family’s health, our pest control specialists recommend:
- Sealing all potential entry points
- Eliminating moisture problems
- Cleaning up food spills right away
- Keeping food prep and storage areas spotless
- Emptying trash cans regularly
- Washing dishes after every meal
- Storing food in containers with tight-fitting lids
- Trimming back tree branches as well as shrubs and bushes so that they do not touch the exterior of the house
- Moving firewood several feet from the house and up off the ground
- Repairing or replacing leaking appliances
- Fixing plumbing issues
- Replacing water-damaged wood
Get Started Today